All of the Peer Supporters on the PeerStrong™ App are specially trained to support and encourage their peers and follow the established guidelines for their role as a Supporter.
All HIV Peer Supporters have been living with HIV for 5+ years are trained by the Project TEACH Program at Philadelphia FIGHT Community Health Centers in Philadelphia, PA.
Peer Supporter Training Overview
Learn about the basic app features and navigation basics including account set up and how to communicate and find information within the app.
Provide Support and Encouragement
- Meeting peers where they are
- Encourage healthy patient provider relationships
- Support peer’s personal goals that support wellness
- Encourage and support the peer learning more about HIV and HIV treatment from reliable resources online and with their medical provider
Maintain Appropriate Boundaries
- Understand the liability and confidentiality guidelines for the app.
- Learn how to set boundaries and align expectations with peers.
- Learn how to build and maintain rapport with peers.
Utilize the PeerStrong™ Chat Best Practices
- Understand the strengths and limitations of being a PeerStrong™ Supporter.
- Learn guidelines for sharing personal stories about disclosure and understand that disclosure is a unique and personal choice made by each person living with HIV and that no two disclosures are the same.
- Learn the PeerStrong™ guidelines for responding to messages appropriately and timely including establishing expectations for communication with peers.
- Understand what medical advice is and that it is never appropriate for Peer Supporters to give medical advice.
- Learn where to find reliable and empirical health information and health information resources online as well as to understand the importance of sharing sources when sharing information.
Maintain Peer Support Certification
- Peer Supporters must be recertified every 6 months
Basic HIV & Reproductive Health Information
- HIV 101 – What is HIV and AIDS
- General health advocacy & positive provider relationships
- STI & Hepatitis 101 – comorbidity, transmission and prevention
Prevention & Adherence
- Prevention & PrEP 101 – Understanding HIV transmission and prevention
- Importance of ART Adherence for people living with HIV
- CD4 & Viral Load – How HIV medications and medication resistance work
- Medication Side Effects – The importance of navigating and managing side effects to maintain adherence